Jun 27, 2009

RIP Michael Jackson


I know it's been a really long time since I posted, but life's been crazy lately... I promise to blog more. Honest.

Anyway, I knew that I had to post something about Michael Jackson's death or I would never forgive myself. He was such a huge part of my childhood, from Thriller to Captain EO, and I never realized how much I would be affected by his death.

Despite all the media drama in his life, I truly believe Michael tried his best to be a good person, and that his childlike demeanor led him to do some truly wonderful things. For one, he's in the Guiness book of World Records for being the celebrity who contributed to the most charities (39), including many he himself created, most of which are for children.

Michael never really got to grow up, but because of his music and his talent my childhood was a better, more interesting place. Who doesn't remember the cat eyes from the end of the Thriller video? Or his Smooth Criminal video? Or Man in the Mirror? And the moonwalk? Shit.

He was amazing, and I miss him more than I ever thought I would. I just hope his last days were good ones, because I think he deserved it.

I'm happy to say that I am not alone in my feelings about Michael. Check out this video below of the Filipino prisoners who got famous recreating Thriller a few years ago. They paid tribute the King of Pop through song and dance yet again, and this one's a bit of a tear jerker...



RIP Michael

4 comments:

  1. This is how I'm going to remember him...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTJ2xVr0PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.

    This is Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been needing a space to get some MJ-related distress off my chest without risking being laughed at, and i think a space among your blog comments will do!

    "I never realized how much I would be affected by his death"... nor did i. this has rocked me real hard. and it doesn't help that every person you talk to buys into all the "Jacko" media bullshit and thinks you're a total freak for being so affected. the "Good, I'm glad that weirdo is dead" comments actually hurt- Michael has been HUGE in my life! and i won't elaborate on my opinions right now, but i KNOW that those who believe everything the media reports about MJ haven't followed his career like i have.

    i had this video tape called "For The Kids", or something like that. it was a concert put on by a bunch of performers to benefit HIV/AIDS research and/or treatment, i can't remember. but i remember watching it when i was maybe 6, and being so impressed with Michael Jackson's performance. of course in retrospect, i'm even more impressed with his activism & particularly with the fact that he drew so much public attention to HIV/AIDS, which was still taboo at the time. he really has been influential in so many ways.

    anyway, watching that video & liking MJ so much led my mom to buy me Thriller, which paved the way for all the rest of the music that has seriously impacted my life. i was hoping i could save my brothers from crap music like my mom did for me, and i had just recently gotten them to listen to Michael Jackson. at this point, they both know (most of) the words to Bad. Diego was really sad to hear that he died (Noah's still too young to get it).

    i just can't believe he's dead. at this point, i'm not sure what makes me more sad: thinking about the fact that he's passed, or thinking about all the bullshit that the media has been spewing forth (and the resulting obnoxious conversations overheard among every ignorant asshole) since he was declared dead. just listen to his music, and for once, leave the poor man alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't watch that video because I will WEEP and I'm not up to it right now.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete