Jan 8, 2009

Innocent 22 year old Father Brutally Murdered by Oakland BART Police

I know my blog hasn't been as fun as in the past, but lately there's been a lot of bad shit going on, and to ignore it is to ignore my civic duty and my duty as an honest, just person. So, yet again, on with the bad news and bullshit...

Oscar Grant, a 22 year old Bay Area resident, was brutally murdered by Johannes Mehserle, a 27 year old BART (bay area rapid transit) cop. Why do they even have guns, by the way? Clearly, as the video shows, they don't know when or how to use them and, like most cops, are too power hungry and immature to be trusted with firearms or the lives of anyone besides themselves.

I can't even begin to say how much this video upsets me, scares me, and just disillusions me beyond even my normally jaded self. If you choose to watch the video of this brutal murder, please be advised that it is pretty tough to take. This man was merely laying on the ground, possibly resisting handcuffs, but surely not posing any sort of real threat, yet this fucking cop decided to take his life anyway.

Your browser is not able to display this multimedia content.


The obvious racism, classism, and power politics that take place everywhere are only magnified in cities like Oakland, where countless families who have lived in the area for generations are discriminated against and forced out (often violently) to make way for the new, gentrified version of Oakland, and in my opinion, this is just another example of that. See below. For more info or to find out what you can do to make sure "justice" is served, go here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment