Feb 13, 2009

What Would Us Worthless, Scared Gals Do Without Goodyear?

Oh man. Sometimes I start to feel like all is well in the world, and then something like this posting on cracked.com comes along and beats the sense back into me. The site has collected 8 television commercials from over the years that are overtly misogynistic and woman hating. The saddest part is that at least two of these are new enough that I actually remember seeing them on TV as totally normal, acceptable commercials.

Now that I look at them I realize just how programmed I am to just accept shit like this without even thinking about it. And I go to Mills for shit's sake! Where's my inner feminist?

Each commercial hates on women in a different way; we're either too scared and idiotic to drive alone, so bitchy that men will do anything to quell those pesky PMS mood swings (because obviously our biological "inconveniences" are only important if they negatively affect men), or so vapid and shallow that we can be bought with sparkly rocks. Whatever "problem" we women pose, these commercials have all the answers to them. Thank god we have television to constantly remind us of our place in society!

I've put my personal favorite commercial from the pack on here, but be sure to check out all of them on cracked.com, along with the snarky and hilarious commentary. Good stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment